Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pastel on Suede Board



Lady of the Mountain

One of the trickier supports for me is suede board. It can sometimes be a challenge because pastel does not adhere very well to the suede.

I like to lay it flat to get the maximum layers of pastel that I want. If I feel the knap is too full I will turn it over and tap it very lightly.

After laying it back flat I may need to tweak or highlight a few places until I'm satisfied with the painting. At that point I will lay the glass directly on top of the painting.

Archival tape will be used to completely surround the glass and painting sealing them together to prevent any movement. The painting is then framed without using a mat.

There are many different way to create pastel paintings. This is just one of the road maps I use to get to where I want to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

What a beautiful painting. It looks so real. I've never used suede board before. I would think that is very difficult. Nicely done. I will be back to visit.

Linda Hiller said...

Thank you bessye for the kind words. For me it does take a little higher level of concentration to work on suede, but it is a lot of fun. Thanks for stopping by.

Technorati