Sunday, November 8, 2009

Intimacy and the Grand Canyon

I recently returned from a trip touring the southwestern part of the US. One of my most memorable moments was, of course, viewing the Grand Canyon.

Ah, the grandeur, the immenseness, the panorama of it all! As a painter I ask myself how can I capture the glory of it on canvas? I've had the pleasure of viewing some wonderful Grand Canyon paintings and have admired the artist's beautiful work, but I don't think anything can capture the majesty of the canyon itself. Therefore, I decided to leave the Grand Canyon paintings to artists much more daring than I and just enjoy the scenery.

By the second day I began to see small intimate areas of the canyon that I think few people remember and some never actually see. Small things such as trees, rocks, those silly squirrels, lizards and many other things that are a part of the canyon and call it home.

Below is a painting of one such scene showing how tenacious life can be "living on the edge".






Standing Alone
12" x 16"
Oil on Linen
$650.00

No comments:

Technorati